After School Programs
Afternoon Safari provides a safe and nurturing environment and offers a variety of opportunities for children to grow physically, socially and academically. The daily schedule includes a healthy afternoon snack, supervised homework time, activity time and social recreation. Children are grouped by grades. Activities include arts & crafts, reading, character building exercises, guest speakers and organized games.
Safari Afterschool Goals:
- To provide a flexible, developmentally-appropriate play and success-oriented program which complements the home and school by encouraging physical, social, emotional, and intellectual growth as well as positive feelings of self-worth in a group setting.
- To provide a warm, secure environment designed to encourage decision-making, problem-solving, individual expression, and freedom within limits, where children respect and enjoy each other in a group setting.
- To provide a competent, caring and professional staff who understand and meet the needs of the children in our program.
- To provide frequent and open communication with parents to provide support and encourage involvement.
Afternoon Safari is offered at Seven Oaks Park, Crooked Creek Park, Ballentine Elementary, Chapin Elementary, Irmo Elementary, Lake Murray Elementary, Oak Pointe Elementary School and Seven Oaks Elementary Schools.
Transportation is provided to Afternoon Safari participants from Chapin Intermediate to Crooked Creek Park and from Harbison West Elementary School and Leaphart Elementary School to Seven Oaks Park.
Call Crooked Creek Park 803-345-6181 or Seven Oaks Park 803-772-3336 for details.
Afternoon Safari Fees
- Full Time Weekly Fee: $55/child per week for 39 weeks
- Reduced Rate: $35/child per week for 39 weeks for qualifying families (receive free/reduced lunch or child has Medicaid card)
- Part Time Fee: $15/child per day (minimum 2 days/$30 per week) for 39 weeks
- Interim Fee: $30/child (pick up by 4:15 pm) for 39 weeks for Lexington Richland School District 5 employees at school sites, not available at park sites.
- *Full Day Service Fee: $25/child per day, $15/child per day for those who qualify for Reduce Rate (see above)
*Afternoon Safari is offered on student holidays during the 39 week school year. An additional fee and separate registration is required for full day service. Lunch is available for purchase on early release and full days. See Safari Site Supervisor for more details.
Weekly rates listed above are charged for 39 weeks regardless of attendance.
SC Voucher Program - Afternoon Safari
The Afternoon Safari Afterschool Program held at Seven Oaks Elementary School is a SC Voucher (formerly ABC Voucher) site for the 2018-2019 school year. The SC Voucher program is federally funded income based assistance program. To inquire about childcare eligibility, contact the SC Voucher program at 1-800-476-0199. For more information, please contact the Safari Afterschool Director at 803-345-8110 or stop by Seven Oaks Park located at 200 Leisure Lane, Columbia, SC 29210.